2.1 Procedural basics
Raiseland procedural generator is controlled by layers of noise (modifiers).
Noises are added together to achieve the final output. There is
only one noise algorithm, but there are many parameters.
Adding and reordering noises
Noises can be added by clicking on Add noise. If
there are too many noises to be displayed at the same time
you can scroll the noise view by clicking the right
black bar or by moving the cursor to the bar and
turning the mouse wheel.
Noises can be reordered by pressing the Up and Down
buttons. Basic procedural generation is order independent,
but the advanced techniques are order dependent, ie,
- Amplitude. Amplitude controls the noise scale on the Y(up/down) axe.
- Frequency. Frecuency controls the noise
scale on the XZ axis.
- Exponent. High values (exp>1) create sharp
shapes, low values(exp<1) create smooth shapes.
Moreover, high values will create non-uniform terrains and
low values will create uniform terrains.
Low values can create discontinuities, combine
this with the Abs switch and the amplitudes sign
to get special effects.
- Iterations=0: noise is disabled
- Iterations=1: noise is enabled
- Iterations=x (x>1): noise is enabled
and have x-1 children. Each child
will have its parents frecuency multiplied by 2
and its parents amplitude multiplied by
the persistence. High values create
- Persistence. Explained in Iterations.
- Multiplier controls (Noise ID, Target, Width, Alpha, Blending).
These controls are explained on Advanced Procedural Generation.
- PDF. Explained on Advanced Procedural Generation.
- Abs. If the Abs switch is activated the
final output will be the absolute noise value.
Activating it will create some discontinuities,
this depends on the exponent and PDF parameters.
- AHO (Add Higher Octave). This is just a shortcut, it will double
the amplitude, reduce the frecuency by 50% and increase
iterations by one.
- DHO (Delete Highest Octave). This is the inverse AHO operation.
- New seed. Procedural systems can generate millions of
different but similar terrains by changing the seed. This button will
change the seed for this noise. To undo this action go to
Edit/Undo or press Ctrl+Z.
- Del. Press it to delete the noise.